Monday, October 15, 2007

AM I HAPPY!!!

I should have written this a long time ago, but I was too busy watching movies, left, right and center, and reading THE AFGAN, by Fredrick Forsyth (awesome book). But it’s better late than never. Yours truly got a job in ADVENTITY. It was a feeling of RELIEF that took over me. It took a lot of time sinking in but YEAH BABY, I GOT PLACED and BLOODY HELL I ROCK... It was a day of mixed feelings and contrasting emotions.

The whole process started on Friday (5th October) morning. The company gave a PPT which was impressive. After that they conducted a written test. The quality of the test was really good with the questions having a good mixture of been tricky, tough and simple. After that the next step was short listing followed by an interview. I don’t know why but I had at a sub-conscious level targeted the company and was somehow quietly confident that I would make it. So, the day started with me taking out my favorite shirt, which I guess I had saved for that day. Before leaving my room in the morning I had already tried out various ties which would go with that shirt. Surprising, cause the interview, if I reached there was supposed to be conducted in the evening or next day. After sitting for the PPT, I thought to myself that this is a good company with a more than decent profile and a nice pay. Basically, I am trying to say I wanted to be a part of it.

Then, we gave the written test which was very professionally conducted. After giving the test I knew I had a decent chance to make it to the interview stage. But given my previous track record of company’s short listing me, one part of me was SCARED. Then, came the first part of the waiting. In the mean time I caught a short nap and also browsed through my projects. Then we went down and waited for the list to come out. The placement reps told us it’s gonna take maximum half an hour. But, after waiting for an hour and a half, I had enough and came back to my room. Pokee was there with me and after coming up we went and sat on the balcony with at terrific view. We started talking. Issues which had been ignored came up. We spent a good half an hour discussing some very negative topics. (Not an ideal preparation for the interview!!)

Anyways around seven I got a call from Bhanjee telling me that I had been short-listed and the interview would start off in half an hour. Rushed back to my room. The preparation of the morning came in handy and I was ready in 10 min. and within 15 min. I was down, all set to give an interview. While going down I got 2 WONDER FULL best of luck messages from Amisha and Bhanjee. It really felt nice. I guess they wanted me to crack it as badly as I myself wanted do. (Thanks a ton gals!!). Anyways, by another stroke of luck my interview was scheduled to be the 2nd with my panelist. While waiting outside after the first guy went in all sorts of thoughts came into my mind. Firstly, I realized how BADLY I wanted to call up home and tell them that I had been placed. I knew it would make them very happy. After that I don’t know why the picture of my grandfather came into my mind. I was perplexed because this normally does not happen. Now, I know and believe that he was watching me from up there. Then I got to the serious business of the interview. While standing outside I realized how inadequate my preparation was!!! Anyways I am a firm believer that SPONTANEITY ROCKS. So I went for my interview. It was a very technical affair and when I came out I had no idea how I had fared. I was sure I had not answered wrongly. But the facial expressions of the panelist gave nothing away. After that I was constantly reviewing the interview in my head and trying to figure out whether I had screwed up or not.

Spoke at my place but did not tell them anything. Wanted to talk to Sis but it was quite late in the night. In the night, Mr. Pip called up and felt a lot better after talking to him. The next day was a big DRAG with nothing to do except wait. Somehow managed to wait till the evening. Around 6:15 news came that results are expected any moment. We went and waited and waited. It was KILLING. I was really nervous cause I wanted this company badly. Around 7:15 all of us were ushered into a room and the announcement started. They had picked on 40 of us. The names were been called out. Amongst closed one’s Surd’s was the first name to be called out. I am very HAPPY that I have got company in the company!!! :-) Then I realize that the list was nearing its end and my name was not yet called out. Mentally, I started to figure out which company to sit for next when suddenly I heard the name Mr. Prashant Chaturvedi. There was a scream of relief from Amisha, Bhanjee and Surd. I myself could not believe it. It was a CLOSE SHAVE.

Then the congratulations started all around. My first reaction was of RELIEF, nothing else. I called up my place and broke the news to Jhabs, and then Maate. I guess they were taken by surprise!! Any ways tried telling Mom the name of the company but I am sure she did not under stand. Jhabs tells me that now Maate has memorized it. :-) Then called up Papa who had gone to Kalighat, it been a Saturday. Broke the news to him at precisely the moment when he was in front of Kaliji’s Moorti. I knew Pa was HAPPY. Then remembered my grandfather again. I knew he would have been proud of me. Called up Sis. She was taken by shock. She was very pleasantly surprised. She kept on asking me to repeat it. :-) Sis rocks!! Then came the number of my close friends. Broke the news to Chocho, Shekhar, Sweta and Topi. Topi took another full interview about the profile and pay. Only after been satisfied did she congratulate me. In the mean time we had a pastry party with Pokee, Dattu and Jhalak joining us. All in all I was VERY RELIEVED when I slept that night. It sunk in the next morning when I realized that I no longer had to worry about which company is going to visit our campus and what is the Sensex closing or Rupee closing. In a way since then I have become a FREE man. No more tensions. LIFE ROCKS!!!!

I have to say that it is very important to enjoy your close one’s success. The number of people who have been genuinely happy for me has been very heartening and satisfying. This should also prove a thing or two to certain people. There has been an incident wherein a particular joker’s ego has been badly hurt. I am happy for that is one thing I really wanted to do. Life has been a party since that day. I have been collecting and watching movies like crazy while also finding the time to finish off a book. That seems to be the itinerary for this semester. In that case I am in for a major BALL and a GALA time. Chow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Virgo said...

Hey Mr amateur...this is one of ur Best blog...this is wht i feel....coz for the frst time i sensed tht u hv written ur heart out....n thts gud....i knw.... to be placed at this point of time is THE Most important....n u wont believe..we wr equally infct cn even claim more tense then u...till the time ur name ws not called out....I still remember tht fear, tht wait, tht scream, tht Yessss....aftr the last name...tht ws urs...wont forget tht in my entire life :) .. so way to go Mr Gemini...Yes u rock!!!! All the very Best for ur future....may u publish ur vocabulary dictionary at ADVENTITY ( I hope I said the company name correctly :) jes kiddin!!!! ) as u hv done here in our minds....

October 15, 2007 at 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey congrats!!! for being placed... ADVENTITY is Guuuud!!! n way to go dude... sm1 is going to mumbai.. the city of dreams... Now dats a gud start for ur career... My best wishes are always wid u dude.. I m sure u'll make it big der...
Gud Luck...

October 19, 2007 at 7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home